Window Balances from 1950s

A handy person from Tampa, Florida says:
Recently purchased a condo built in the 1950s with the original windows. The glass and the frames are in good shape. The windows balances, however, need replacing as they are rusted and in some cases falling apart.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
A quick learner from Tampa, Florida says:
A continued post from an earlier request.

Each window has two panes the back pane uses two balances of 28" in length, the front pane has a balance 29" in length. They measure at 9/16.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I recommend that you look at our Series 500 spiral balance. This hooks on a bracket at the bottom of the sash. If you also need those bottom brackets, I will need to see a picture of one removed.

Based on your information, I'd say that the tube length should be 32". You will need to to physically measure the balance tube to confirm, though. You will also need our 75-005 charging tool, to charge balances. Check out the guide below for instructions on how to do this.

Come to think of it, you might want to charge the balances purchasing new ones. Honestly, these balances last a long time. Sometimes all they need is a few turns and they can work as good as new for a long time yet.
Thanks for the quick response! Highly appreciated.
The Series 500 balance looks like an exact match, I'll order a pair and try them out before replacing all 12 windows (it's gonna be a long weekend).

I think I will need new balances, mainly due to rust issues. The bottom brackets are all highly corroded to the extent that the screws will need to be drilled out

I sent a second request in with measurements but off the top of my head I remember the tube lengths as 27" & 28" for the external/internal windows.

Any idea where to get replacement felt?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the top outer sash is often shorter than the lower inside sash and uses a different length balance.

Don't forget a charging tool, 75-005 and for the bottom bracket, use 17-012 .

For the felt, take a photo of cross section with measurements, we would be happy to research a replacement weatherstrip for you.
Wonderful! Thank you so much for the assistance.

I'll start with one of the 10 windows and see how that goes!

Thanks!
How to identify replacement weatherstripping.
How to identify replacement weatherstripping.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.