29-5 Window Channel Balances

A quick learner from Pembroke Pines, FL 33027 says:
Hello,

I have been going back & forth with Mike & Tom. Hopefully the attached images will allow you to see the replacement balances I need. The metal width is 1/2" & length is 30". I need to know if you have replacement units & for how much. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.

Jawad
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon, Jawad.

Please take a look at the S377-30 Channel Balance, option 2950. Let us know what you think.
A quick learner says:
Will these work as replacements for the ones I need? Does it make a difference that they are not exactly 30" in length? Also, what about the plastic ends?
Profile picture of Tom
I believe that our S377-30 is our closest match. You will have to take a look at it and see if you think it would work as a replacement.

What do you mean when you say it's not exactly 30"? The metal channel for our S377-30 is also 30", same a yours. Is your metal channel not really that length?
A quick learner says:
Tom,

Sorry, I was looking at the sash weight range. The metal is 30". I guess my only concern are the shoe & top plastic ends. Do they need to be EXACTLY the same?
Profile picture of Tom
In this case, the only difference I see between your old plastic attachments and those of our S377-30 are slight variations in the top attachment, which shouldn't matter and which can be contributed to different plastic moldings.
A quick learner says:
Tom,

The S377-30 Channel Balance, option 2950 worked. I plan to order 2 more sets. Do you carry the little plastic pieces (stoppers?)that go on the window itself? They are screwed into the top L & R corner of each window. I think they serve to slide the balance up & down depending on open or close. Please advise & thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Jawad, good to hear from you again. I'm glad to hear that our balances worked for you! That's great news.

As for the sash piece you described, it sounds like a top sash guide. Could you send a few pictures of yours for me to look at? Please make sure it's removed from the window first.

Alternatively, you can look through our Top Sash Guide Section in our online catalog and see if you can find a match for your existing hardware.
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

Here are some shots of the sash. Let me know if u carry these so I can order them with the additional channel balances I need. Thanks.
User submitted photos of a sash guide.
Profile picture of Tom
How about our 18-042? That looks like what you have there. What do you think?
A quick learner from Pembroke Pines says:
Tom,

I think 18-402 will work. It looks to be the closest match.

One additional thing on the S377-30 Channel Balance, option 2950. Is the 2950 really different from the 2940? Are there any images avail for the 2940? Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
There are no visual differences between options. That just represents the strength of the balance. As you can see on the S377-30 product page, the 2940 can hold a sash weight of 23 through 28 pounds, while 2950 can hold a sash weight of 28 though 32 pounds.
A home owner from Pembroke Pines, FL says:
Hi Tom,

My only issue now is one window. When I tried to replace the L channel balances, it snapped & broke the plastic take out clip. I had a very hard time removing the broken clip even using a flat head screw driver as advised by one of your fellow techs on this site. My question is do I have to use the plastic ones or can the metal ones you have (16-002)? If needed, I can send you pic of the slot the take out clip fits in.
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, thanks for posting. I think our 16-002 take out clips can work, but I can't say for sure. How do they compare to your original take out clips?
A handy person says:
Hi Tom,

What I have now is the 16-023 plastic clips. Its exactly what it looks like. Problem is I had a couple on another window frame that is never opened. I broke two in trying to take them out. I thought the metal ones would be stronger or at least not break during removal.
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I see. If you have the 16-023, you may want to replace them with the same. They can be a pain to take out and even put in, but they are so different from the 16-002 that you probably won't be able to use them as a substitute. However, I strongly recommend that you double check all the dimensions and compare them to the ones shown on our site to make sure of what you have.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.