SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window Cord

A home owner from New York says:
I just tried opening two Anderson windows that have not been open in quite a while. They both have problems with the cord to the bottom sash. One sash has both cords bowing out and thus the window will not hold open. The other has only one cord not operating properly. Is the cause of this a problem with the sash balance needing replacement, or just the cord itself?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like you're having a problem with the window balance, which is more than just the cord. Check out the video below to see the whole mechanism.

In order to determine what balance you have, I will need to know what stamps are printed on the balance box itself. The key stamps to look out for usually have a # symbol, or maybe a P or H in the mix. It may even be best if we see a few pictures of the stamps printed on the balance.
A home owner from New York says:
I am unable to see any markings on this part, and was hesitant to remove the entire window since I was not sure I would be able to put it back together without new part.
User submitted photos of an Andersen window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Can you tell me the height and width of the visible glass? That might give us a better idea of what you need.
A quick learner from New York says:
The glass height is 23.75 inches and the width is 32.5 inches, for each section of the double hung window.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You could consider our 24-939. However, without knowing all the numbers printed on your original balance, there is no way for me to be sure if this is what you need. I cannot guarantee that this is the best replacement for your window.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)