SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Kitchen casement window needs new crank

A quick learner from Virginia Beach says:
We purchased our house almost 2 years ago and realized the casement window in our kitchen doesn't have any cranks. The mechanism itself does work when I use pliers to rotate the peg, but it takes a decent amount of effort to get it open. We've tried buying replacement handles but the peg is so short that none of the set-screw types were able to catch and stay on. The peg only comes out from the mechanism 1/4" and the diameter of it is 3/8" I believe. The width of the entire mechanism is 5".

Is there a crank that will go on this so we don't have to replace the working mechanism, or is this a scenario where the crank and mechanism are all one piece and if the crank is broken off we just need a whole new mechanism?

There are 2 mechanisms on the kitchen window, both missing cranks with same dimensions.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Looking at your photos, it appears that the spline has broken off. This is the peg you mentioned. It's odd, though, it almost looks like it was cut sheer off. To get started, take a look at our 39-253R and 39-253L. I would also recommend a new handle like our 39-114L, just in case your operator used something different for whatever reason.
A home owner from Virginia Beach says:
I think this could be a winner. The measurements look pretty close based on the part of the arm I can access on the window. Not sure if this is in anyway helpful, but I used the AAMA Certification manufacturer code (there is a sticker on the window) to determine it is a Lincoln Wood Products window, Timeline Casement is the series, and the codes for the inspection are C-C50-36x72/C-C55-30x72.

As I mentioned, I think the dimensions look to line up and that mechanism certainly looks like the one on the window currently. The crank also looks like it may be the same as the window we have that has working cranks.

Again, not sure if that additional information helps in the confirming it to be the right window mechanism, but if so, I'll probably look to order it by the end of this week. Thanks!
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. The 39-253R and 39-253L are used on many, many brands of windows, so knowing who made yours isn't necessarily a confirmation. If the dimensions line up, though, then I think you're good to go. As long as you replace the handle at the same time you don't need to worry about the difference in the peg.
A home owner from Virginia Beach says:
I've ordered the suggested pieces, will report back how it goes!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)