SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement pivot bar and coil balances

A handy person from Dallas, TX says:
I believe the "pivot bars"(?) broke on the window I am attempting to repair. I pulled these parts out trying to access the affected piece. I don't know what parts I need but I know that I definitely need the bars that attach to the sash. The metal coils (3/4" wide) didn't seem to be attached to anything but any assistance that you could offer to help reassemble this once the parts are replaced would be appreciated. I thought that once I got these parts out I would understand how they went back in but this doesn't make any sense to me! Thanks. John Hall

p.s. There is no brand name apparent on the window.
A customer submitted photo of pivot bars and shoes.
A customer submitted photo of pivot bars and shoes.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the images, John!

I recognize a few items that might work for you. Your coil balance looks very similar to our Series 170 Coil Balance. Take a look through that catalogue and see which number matches the stamp on your sample.

For the other parts, please take a look at our 15-192 CertainTeed Pivot Shoe, 15-156 CertainTeed Lance Spring Cover, 15-157 CertainTeed Balance Drum, and our 26-336 Pivot Bar. Make sure to match the dimensions of your own parts with the ones I have listed and see if you think they will match.
A quick learner from Dallas, TX says:
Thank you! These appear to be the correct parts. The only problem I have is how to get it all back together once I've gotten the new parts. When I removed these parts the Coil Balances appeared to be connected to nothing. I'm guessing they should connect to the hole in the Pivot Shoe but they weren't. Should there be a screw? I have 3 Coil Balances. Two are labelled 408 and one is labelled 407. The middle Coil Balance appears to be in a modified Lance Spring Cover (with end cap removed). Do they go in a particular order and do all three screw into the pivot shoe? Is there a trick to doing this and getting it all back into the provided slot? This is the lower sash if that matters.
A quick learner from Dallas, TX says:
Additionally, comparing pictures and descriptions is it possible that I have the "old-style" Pivot Shoe?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Due to the interest in this particular subject, we are currently filming a tutorial video on how to install a coil balance. We hope to have it up sometime next week. We will post an update in this discussion when the video has been completed. Thank you for your patience!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience!

Please refer to the following video guide on how to replace a window coil balance:

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)