Window Hardware Advice

A handy person from New York says:
I have some very old builder's windows that have broken channel balances and balance top stops. The metal portion of the balances measure 25 to 25 1/4 inches and have 2040 stamped on them. I have included pictures of the tops, bottoms and top stops but they are a little fuzzy because I had to use a cell phone camera. Also the top balance stop has the bottom piece broken off. Please let me know if you need any further information or have any questions.

Thanks.
Joe
User submitted photo of window balances and top guide.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for submitting your pictures, Joe.

Please take a look at this guide and see if you can identify your channel balance attachment bottom attachment.
Diagram on how to choose between the 15-001, 15-002, 15-004, and 15-005 channel balance shoes.
Diagram on how to choose between the 15-001, 15-002, 15-004, and 15-005 channel balance shoes.
Hi Mike:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly:

Does it have wings?: No
What is the width?: 1"

Thanks.
Joe
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the information, Joe. We are a little closer to figuring out what you need.

Judging by your attachments, you appear to have a Series 351 balance. However, the options available to it don't match your stamp. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would ask that you take a picture of the stamp as it is on your metal channel and submit it to us.

Secondly, I will need you to confirm the length of these balances. Most of the time, the length of these channels shouldn't be a fraction. I just want you to double check to see if they aren't all 25".

As for the black top sash guide, it's hard for me to make out exactly what that is. We have many sash guides that look similar, but I would need specific dimensions. If you could give me whatever measurements you can, it would be a big help.
Mike:

My apologies, the stamp is actually 2420 and the length is 25".

I'll try and get you some better pictures and measurments on the top sash guides.

Thanks again.
Joe
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The balance looks like it could be our S390-25. You would want the 2420 stamp option to go with that.

The sash guide looks like our 18-032 Crossly Top Sash Guide. Take a look at that and see if its dimensions match up with your sample.
Following up , I ordered the balances and top sash guides listed above and they worked perfectly. I want to thank you for the guidance and to tell you that you guys have been a great help.

Joe
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the praise, Joe! I'm so glad that we were able to help. Please let us know if you have any questions in the future, it would be my pleasure to answer anything I can!
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.