Window Lock/Unlock lever

A quick learner from Peoria Illinois says:
38-099 seems to be my window lock, it has locked closed and I can not get the window open now? Lever just flips up and down and will not work anything, not open or unlock window? How do I get this window open or part off to replace?
User submitted photos of a window lock.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've been talking to some local contractors who are familiar with this window and found that this is no easy fix. On wood casement windows you could remove the wood trim on the side of the main frame to access the locking mechanism. However, you have a welded vinyl window which calls for a different solution.

Believe it or not, you could use a bent hanger, not unlike what you would use to "jimmy" open your car when you lock your self out. In your case, you would have to use a flat tool like our 75-081 prybar or a stiff putty knife to pry open the sash just enough to allow you to slip the hanger in and try to catch the locking mechanism so that you can unlock the window. Be careful not to pry open the window sash too much, or you could damage the window or break the glass!

Another thought was to cut the base of the lock so access the locking mechanism. That said, either fix is not going to be easy. You may want the help of a local professional.
A home owner says:
Thanks Dave, I knew this was no easy fix, but the bent hanger or small pry insert is worth a try! It is locked close, so I can leave it alone for now, till it warms up some this Spring!!! Thanks again!
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.