SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window Sash Guide Replacement

A quick learner from S. California says:
Hello, I'm looking to replace my in-law's channel balances for their windows. For the last 10 or so years, they have used a stick to prop up most of their windows!

Just needed some advice on which take out clip, top sash guide, and channel balance to purchase:

1. Take out clip - ALL the windows did not have a take out clip attached, it was probably broken and thrown away in the last 10-12 years or so. Looking at the picture below, will the 16-002 clip work?

2. Top sash guide - many of the top sash guides are broken. The last picture of the top sash guide looks identical to part 18-008, so I assume this is the correct part.

3. Channel balance - The original channel balance is stamped 2740W and it is 28" in length. After some research it looks like the S390-28 with the 19-002 and 15-001 is the correct fit?

3a. Each window weighed on a scale is 20 pounds. Is the 2740 correct? Just want to make sure.

3b. How do I know the S390 is 100% the correct. I need to purchase 12 channel balances and do not want to pay the 35% restocking fee for purchasing the the wrong one.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

User submitted photos of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, Daniel.
  1. Yes, most of the Series 390 windows used the 16-002 Take Out Clip.
  2. It appears the 18-008 Guide does appear to be close to your original, but make sure you check the dimensions of your original and compare it to that of the 18-008 to confirm.
  3. Yep, I think you got it right. Be sure to double-check the height and width of our bottom attachment and compare it to the 15-001 to confirm the Series 390.

3a) Yes, if yours is stamped 2740, I do believe it will work for a 20 lb. window.

3b) As stated earlier, be sure to check the measurements of your balance attachments, as they are what determine the balance Series.
A quick learner says:
Thanks Mike, all the measurements seem to check out and have ordered the parts already.

Thanks again.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)