Window Sash Hardware

A handy person from New Jersey says:
I have six wood double hung windows all of them are broken and will not stay up. All of the plastic or nylon pieces are broken in the same place. I cannot find any manufacturing names or numbers on the windows or part. The part has a cord threaded through it and is knotted. the part is placed over a steel dowel screwed into the side of the sash. The bottom part of the plastic/ nylon all break in the same place. I guess that the windows are about 35 years old. Enclosed is a sample of what is left of the part. Thanks for your help Part is 3/8 in wide 3/4 long 3/8 deep
User submitted photos of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! See our 15-159 pivot shoe. This appears very similar to your own. What do you think?
A quick learner from New Jersey says:
Paul, Thank you again. The 15-159 pivot shoe looks exactly like the part I need. Do you have any tips for installing them?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The goal of is to put the balance cord through that hole and tie a knot in the end of the cord to secure it in place. First, you need to take the pressure off the cord. What I do is to pull the cord from the balance with a set of pliers (like our 75-055). With the cord pulled from the balance you need to clamp it at the base of the balance with a type of clamp or locking pliers (like our 75-054). Now, with the pressure off of the cord, you fish it through the hole of the 15-159 and tie a knot in the end to secure it. If you already have a knot in the end of the cord, you will need to untie the knot or cut it off. With the cord tied in a knot grab hold of the cord with the pliers and remove the clamp, then slowly allow the cord to be pulled back into the balance. Be very careful! This hardware is under a lot of pressure from the springs and you don't want it to snap back, which could damage the balance or even hurt you. Safety always comes first!
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a S775 balance
How to install a S775 balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.