SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window Springs

A home owner from Malaga, NJ says:
I have submitted 5 images for the window springs I am looking to replace. My house was built in 1956. They are single pain, double hung wooden windows.

1. image #2653 is the top fasten spot.
2. image #6262 is the bottom fasten spot.
3. image #3822 is what the spring looks like with the original thin plastic cover on them.
4. image #8824 is the spring without the plastic cover (about half of the covers have cracked and fell off. Still work great though)
5. Image #5338 are the windows.

I have 3 different sizes. When closed are 54", 46", 38". I currently need 4 of the 54" size (29" when open).

I would like to have all 3 sizes is available.

Thanks for your help with this. Vince
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. We don't have this exact type of balance, but you mi g ht be able to use our Series 500 as a substitute, while used with our 17-007 bracket. If you don't know what size you need, you can give me the length of your existing balance or the height of the visible glass and I can try to determine what you need. I will also need you to specify whether these are for the top or bottom sash.
A quick learner from Malaga NJ says:
Hey Paul,

Like I said my post. The spring is 54" when the bottom sash is closed, an 29" when open. That is the springs I really need. Four of them and mybe a few as back up. The other windows are all in tack. I can measure those an purchase them if the ones you recommend work.
Profile picture of Paul
In that case I think you should consider our S500-29.
Thanks Paul. I was looking at the S500-29 online. I think I'll need the 3/8 " one based on what I have now. Does the one come in that size? I also think I'll need bracket #X54 part 17-007 to attach the spring to the bottom of the sash. Do you agree?
Actually, maybe bracket#32 part 17-012. This one has 3 screw holes for better securing. Does that sound logical?
Profile picture of Paul
Considering your existing balance appears to be just the spring, I think it's likely that it once had an outer tube that measured 9/16" (or 5/8"; they're considered the same in the industry). The diameter of a spiral balance is determined by the outer tube, not the inner spring.

As for the bracket, I agree that 17-012 is the best choice.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)