SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window balance ID

A quick learner from USA says:
Greetings, I need help in identifying replacement parts for 6 sets of vinyl double hung tilt windows.

1. Regarding the balances--I understand the need to measure the metal lengths, which will require another trip to the job site. However, my plan is to replace all the balances in these windows as they are all worn and close to failure. It may not be necessary to find the exact replacement if I can simply substitute something that will work for all the sash.

Here are photographs of the existing balances, so before I go back to the site I would like to know if the replacements can be found, or whether a substitute will be necessary. If a substitute balance is required I may well need to make some other measurements (jamb track dimensions, etc.) and would rather be able to get all the info needed in one trip.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I don't think you should go with a substitute. Balance systems are very delicate and it's always better to replace them with exactly what was installed in the first place. In this case, you might want to consider our S751-25 balance with a 24TG option. Just double check all the information we show to make sure it's correct.

Two balances with the 24TG option can carry a window sash weight of 22 through 30 pounds. I would weigh your sash to make sure it falls within that range. If not, you may need a different option.
A quick learner from USA says:
Thank you! Looks very similar to what I need. A few more questions...

First, the balances are attached with a screw through the balance at top and into the vinyl frame-it looks like these balances are designed to use an S-hook. Will a screw work for me using the S751 balance?

Second, I will also need new pivot bars-can you recommend a screw-in pivot bar that will work with the S751 balance and a vinyl sash? I've attached a photo of one of the existing non-broken pivots.
A customer submitted image of their pivot shoe.
A contractor from Walnut Creek, CA says:
Thanks for the recommendation. 2 questions now:

1. Can I mount the S751 balances with a screw at the top into the jamb--this is how the current balances are mounted (similar to the way a spiral balance is attached)?

2. What pivot pins are compatible with the S751 balance? The current pivot pins are steel mounted to the vinyl sash with a pair of flat head philips screws. They look more or less like your part 26-152, but would the 17-093 pivots work correctly with the S751?
May have answered one of my questions! While waiting for a reply I noticed the 26-411 pivot pins...they look like an exact match. Will these work with the S751 balances?
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, actually, I think our 26-411 looks like a good match, as well. However, something you said has given me a little concern over my original recommendation for the balance. Our Series 751 does not screw in. If yours does, that might not be the way to go.

Furthermore, now that I'm looking at your first pictures again, it seems that your channel type is plain, rather than ribbed like our Series 751. I'm glad you said something. I think I have a better idea.

Your Series balance is a specially made Series, but we can make it for you. Check out this Special Channel Balance Request Form and review the information. Now, this is a 25" plain channel balance with a 25D option. I've cross-referenced the strength of this option with your 25TG. It's the closest I could manage; two balances with this stamp can carry a window sash weight of 22 through 25 pounds. You might want to double check the weight of your sash to make sure it falls within this range. If not, let me know and I can see what we can change it to.

If everything looks good, you can fill out and submit this information and one of our representatives will get back to you shortly thereafter with a price quote and an item to add to your cart.
Thanks, I've submitted the request form. I will definitely weigh the sash before I place the order.
I'm still considering using the S751, since the channel stamps on the existing balances correspond exactly with the options available on the S751. It looks like there are holes along the upper part of the channel. If I were to use a nylon bushing inside the top of the ribbed channel do you think I could use a screw to mount the S751?
Profile picture of Tom
I don't know if that will work. The Series 751 is not meant to install that way. That said, I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure. It may not work simply due to the fact that the Series 751 is ribbed while yours is plain. It may not even fit in the jamb.
After giving it some more thought (!) and another trip to the job I agree, the S770 seems the best choice. Placed my order yesterday. Thanks for all your help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)