Window balance question

A handy person from USA says:
I am looking to replace the channel balances on 9 identical non-tilt windows and would like to know, what determines the 'series' of channel balance to use? My balances are of the 1/2" (9/16") variety, are 29" long, and look to have the 15-003 shoe and 19-002 guide.

Thank you for your help and time.

Regards,
Ken R
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
A Series is determined by the nylon attachments, as you've rightly guessed. We could custom make a balance with a 19-002 top and 15-003 bottom, but I would double check your shoe, though. 15-003 is not all that common.

It would be more likely that you have a 15-001 or 15-002. The Series 351 uses the 15-002 while the Series 390 uses the 15-001. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
Comparison of 15-001 & 15-002
Comparison of 15-001 & 15-002
A home owner from Texas says:
Thank you for your reply. I have trippled checked the bottom shoe measurements and mine is the 15-003. Now I'm starting to wonder if the windows were ever built properly. I have pulled the sashes on 9 of the 5 windows and only 1 channel balance is in working order. Seems most top sash guides are also broken. I take it the top sash guide and balance tops need to match, correct?

Ken R.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, I think pictures at this stage would be best. Please show us a top sash guide (as undamaged as possible) and the nylon attachments of your balance, both top and bottom. Thanks!
A quick learner from Texas says:
The sash guide is 7/8" wide by 27/32" deep by 1.5" long - screw hole is 15/16" from top. The top shoe is 1/2" wide by 11/16 deep by 1.25" long. The bottom shoe is 1/2" wide by 1-3/16" deep by 1-1/16" long.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for getting back to us! Our 18-138 top sash guide is longer than yours, but that shouldn't matter. What matters is the width that fits in sash, which is 3/4", and the screw hole placement, which is 1".

If you're confident you have a 15-003 shoe, then we can custom make your balance for you. Check out this Custom Channel Balance Request Form I've started for you based on your specifications and fill out the blank fields. One of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote and an item to add to your cart.
A quick learner from Texas says:
Thank you for help and suggestions. I have ordered 18 of both the channel balances and top sash guides, and look forward to having rejuvinated/operating windows. Ken
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.