Window balance replacement

A handy person from Bloomington IN says:
Hello, I need to replace window balances in a couple of windows. They're about 20 years old. The spring is just under 1/2" and stamped Caldwell 5#-35" EX.

Do you sell these or have a replacement balance?

Thanks, Ken
User submitted photos of a coil window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Ken. Yes, this closely resembles our Series 180 coil spring. See if you agree. We also have the parts that go with it like our 15-087 pivot lock coil housing, 15-086 tandem coil housing, 16-024 mounting bracket and 33-072 installation screw.
A handy person from Bloomington IN says:
Yes, I think these are the parts I need. To clarify, there is a spring in each housing, so I need two springs per side? I'm also having trouble figuring out how to get the existing housings out of the window frame. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Ken
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You should replace your springs with just as many as there were to begin with. For help on removing this kind of hardware, see the video below. It shows a different kind of coil balance system, but the principle is the same.
A quick learner from new jersey says:
From Bloomington happens to have the same Tandem Coil system I have and what a nightmare.

Of course there are no cut outs in the jam, I figure I'd make one just big enough to take the top half case off, but small enough for the cover to fit back over without a big hole in the jam. I then pulled out the bottom half. Of course I then realized you could not put the tandem case back in the same way, because the coils have to be pulled together and attached first to the mounting bracket, so I ordered the jam spreaders.

I wonder will the spreaders pull the jam out far enough to fit the whole tandem case with room to attach the coils to the mounting bracket without cracking the vinyl? There doesn't look like enough space to work with attaching the coils to the bracket while the bracket is attached to the jam, so I have this idea of taking the bracket off and and attaching the coil, but the bracket has no stable position on the case to hold on too, without the coil snapping back.

The video you mention in the post is a single coil which looks very simple. I could not find a demo like that on the tandem coil. Is there one? Could you do one? :)

Thanks very much,

Paul
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Paul, sorry to hear you're having trouble! We don't have a video on tandem balances, but the same principles apply. Fortunately, the jamb spreaders come in pairs, and they mount on different spots on the jamb track. All you have to do is make sure they're spaced enough that they give you enough room to install the larger coil.
A quick learner from new jersey says:
Thanks Tom, haven't tackled it yet and just received the jam spreaders(THANK YOU!) I can't wait to try them out!
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.