Thanks for posting, Bill! I can't believe you still have these windows. I haven't worked on these since the 1970's. These are the old Air Control and are not made any more.
I used to fix them by removing the old bottom clip and spring button and replacing them with our 17-014 and 17-015 Bottom Sash Clips. I will post more detailed instructions below.
The balances you will need will have to be custom-made, which will require you to fill out some forms. I will post a link for each of the three balance lengths you require after the installation instructions.
Here's how you would go about installing the clips:
- Remove the window stop on both heights.
- Raise the sash past the stops. The old balance shoe will disengage in the fork and release the sash.
- Push the sash to the left and swing out its right side.
- Install the 17-017 and 17-015 clips in the sash.
- Install the window balances in the track and lock the shoe under the fork. You might want to turn the shoe up to three times to put tension on the balance.
- Install the window sash in the same position as you removed it.
I think that about covers it. The fork should be installed in your sash already, but just in case it isn't please take a look at our 16-001
, which should serve as an applicable replacement.
The following links will take you to the Custom Balance Forms you will need: