SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spiral balances for 1977 windows

A home owner from Phoenix, AZ says:
Hi,

Can you help me identify this window balance. I'm not sure of the window manufacturer but I believe, but am not certain, the windows may have been installed new in 1977 or so. Several of my windows will be needing these.

I have included some pictures. First picture is of the tube's diameter, the second is the shoe. The tube is 20".

All windows seem to have the same diameter and shoe but different tube lengths.

Thank you, and I look forward to placing an order!

John
A customer submitted photo of spiral balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. This appears to be our Series 306 Spiral balance. In this case, please look at our S306-20, since this tube is 20" long. Do you think this would work for you?
A quick learner from Phoenix says:
I received my order yesterday and I'm trying to install today. I couldn't get the shoe locked into the sash. I then measured shoe on the old and new balances. The older is 1/4" and new is 5/16". They will not install as is so I need to know, do you have 1/4" shoes for your spiral balances? Can I file down the new larger one to fit? Should I reorder new ones with smaller shoes?

Please see attached picture. After a re-measure of the new Swisco shoe I may be off somewhat on the size. I can't see that well today :-)

Thank you,

John
User submitted picture of spiral balance attachment.
Profile picture of Paul
I apologize for the inconvenience, but unfortunately the older shoe you have isn't in production anymore, and we can't replace it. I would recommend trying to reuse your old shoe.

To do this, you'd have to drill out both shoes and attach the older one to the new balance using a small rivet. You can try our 62-007. You can also always just cut the rivet to the size you need with a pair of snips.

Please let us know if this works for you!
A quick learner says:
I only have one old shoe from the 6 old balances. I am/will be replacing 6 balances total so I need to do something to make the other shoes fit. May I file or grind down the others to fit?

Can one find rivets at stores like Home Depot or Lowes that you you know of?

I also see this part from your site Product Code: 15-142 do you suppose it may work?

Thank you again,

John
Profile picture of Paul
Although filing down the clip may be risky, you can try it if you think it will work. Our 15-142 might work as well. Please refer to this discussion on how to install the 15-142 to your spiral balance. Unfortunately, I believe that these are the only other options we have available for you. You may try checking with a local "mom and pop" style hardware store just in case. They might carry the older parts you need.
A quick learner says:
Paul,

I did a little work on the shoes attached to the new balances. I filed down to the same width as the old balance shoe, tested for fit, then installed. All seems well at this point. I have only installed one set so far. I know you thought filing may be risky, I'm curious why? Do I need to be on the look out for trouble?

Thanks again for all the help,

John
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for the update, John! I say it's risky because there's a chance of ruining the shoe if you aren't careful. I'm glad to hear that it worked for you, though!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)