Channel balance for hinged windows

A home owner from New Jersey says:
I need to order replacement window balances for my windows. They are side swing out type, brand unknown.

I took photos of the existing balance along with measurements.

As you can see in the photos, the top and bottom pieces most resemble and are same dimensions of the 'silver line' top and shoe. Can you please confirm this.

Also, the channel length is 26" and 9/16" thick. The marking on the channel says 2540F and on another balance says 2530F...what is the difference between the two, is it weight load capacity? If so, what is the difference in weight load? '2540F'.

Is it possible to order a complete assembled balance with the silver line top and bottom? How do I go about doing so? Thank you!
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! This is a unique type of balance, and a little tricky to explain. Essentially, you will need two balances for your window, but one of them will not include a bottom shoe. We do not have an existing Series for these balances, so they will have to be custom made for you.

The first balance, with the stamp 2530, will have a bottom shoe. You can order it by referring to this Custom Balance Order Form for the 2530 that I have started for you and filling out the rest of the information.

The second balance, with the stamp 2540, will not have a bottom shoe. Please refer to this Custom Balance Order Form for the 2540.

After you have finished filling out these forms, one of our representatives will be in contact with you shortly.
Thanks for replying. I'll begin to fill out the forms.

Based on your answers...I do have another question. If one of the channels does not have a bottom shoe, then what purpose is it serving in the window or how is it functioning?

Currently I have only one channel in one of my windows, the other doesn;t have any, which is why I need to order replacements.

Thanks again.
Profile picture of Paul
You have a Swinger Window whose company went out of business. The 2530 balance goes on hinge side, while the 2540 balance without the shoe goes on the opposite side.

As for other parts you may want to consider, please take a look at our 16-008 fork, 17-017 lower sash block, 18-027 top tilt latch, 16-009 take out clip and 15-058 hinge. Compare these parts to some hardware on your window and see if any of them also need replacing.
Ok, great...thanks for the additional part references.

One further question before I order...how do I install the channel balance on the hinge side of the window? Should the winodw be in the open or close position when installing the balance or does the winodw need to be completely removed, including hinges, in order for the channel to install?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at this tutorial video on removing channel balances for non-tilt windows:
A home owner from Bridgewater, NJ says:
Mike,

I have a silverline hinged window and one of the hinges broke on it as well as the stop for the channel balance (26" long) on one side and I did find some other broken parts on the floor. Please let me know if you can give me a full list of hardware needed to bring my window back to operational.

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks, George.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for posting! I have placed you in an existing thread concerning this type of balance. As you can read above, this is a unique balance made for windows whose company has since gone out of business. However, we can still make a custom order for you.

Before we can start, though, can you tell us what the stamps read on both of your balances?

Also, be sure to look at our 15-058 hinge leaf assembly.
A home owner from Bridgewater, NJ says:
Mike,

The other balance is missing but on the one I have the number is 2540 #. From looking at another window in the house it seems that I have the following issues with this window -

1. Broken Hinge
2. Broken bottom piece (shoe) of balance (this is the piece to the right of the hinge in the photo with the 3 pieces)
3. Broken Balance stop attached to window frame.
4. Missing balance

Let me know if this is correct. Again the balance is 26" long.

I really appreciate your help.

George
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting back to me. Is the other window you mentioned identical to this one? If so, you could possibly get all the stamp information you need from that window. There's a possibility that your second balance has a different stamp than the first, and I would like to make certain before we go on with the custom order.

Also, as you can see from the thread above, one of the balances actually won't even have a bottom shoe. That is part of the design of this system. Your balance may not be broken. Please confirm.
A quick learner from Bridgewater, NJ says:
Paul,

The other window is smaller in size but same style. I will look at the other window about the shoe and numbers.

George.
A quick learner from Bridgewater, NJ says:
Paul,

I finally got around to getting the stamp from the second balance. Its 2530 #. The 2530 has the shoe and 2540 does not. Hopefully you can help me now to get everything I need to fix my window. Both balance on the window is broken at some part or the other. Thank you for your continued help in this matter.

George.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. That should be all the information that I need! The first balance, with the stamp 2530, will have a bottom shoe. You can order it by referring to this Custom Balance Order Form that I have started for you and filling out the rest of the information. The second balance, with the stamp 2540, will not have a bottom shoe. Please refer to this Custom Balance Order Form. After you have finished filling out these forms, one of our representatives will be in contact with you shortly. Let me know if you have any further questions!
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.