SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window channel balance

A quick learner from Portland oregon says:
I have two caldwell window channel balance I need to replace. One is stamped 17 4 GR Caldwell.

The length is 14"
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting! Before I can offer any applicable replacement balances for you, I just need to know a few things.

First, can you please confirm that the length of your channel is 14"? With your stamp, the length should be more like 18". Please let me know.

Finally, can you please upload a few pictures of the plastic attachments on either side of your balance? Thank you.
it is 14"
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you for the images. Looking at your stamp, it appears to read 13 9, not 17 4. If that is, indeed, the case, then I will need to know the weight of your sash, since we do not have any options that correspond with a 13 9 stamp. Please remove the sash from your window and weigh it on any common scale, and then let me know what you come up with!
There are 2 sashes with the same length balances.

One weighs about 18.5 pounds the other weighs about 11.5 pounds.

I need a total of 4 balances (all the same length) for 2 different window sashes.

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you for specifying. I'm a bit confused now, though; do you have two different channel balances? Are their attachments the same? Also, does one have the stamp 17 4, while the other has 13 9?

If the second balance does, indeed, have a 17 4 stamp, I will need you to triple-check the length. If it is not 18", that means that it has been cut down to 14".
Yes all balances are exactly 14". The stamp on the rest of them is not legible. The stamp in the photo above is the only one that I can read.

The 2 window sashes have the same height but different lengths hence the difference in weights, but again all of the balances are 14" and all have the same attachemnts.
Profile picture of Paul
Ah, I think I know what you need now.

The one that weighs 11.5 lbs. should be simple enough. Please take a look at our S385-14 channel balance with a 1340 stamp option. This stamp option will carry a sash weight of 11 to 12 pounds.

The 18.5 lbs. sash will be a bit trickier. We will need to custom order a pair of balances with a 1365 stamp, this will carry a window sash weight range of 18 through and including 20 lbs.

Please keep in mind that this information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.

For the custom made balance, please take a look at our Custom Channel Balance Order Form and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will be in contact with you shortly thereafter.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)