SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window channel balance

A home owner from San Diego, CA says:
28" in length from tip to tip
1/2" width
Markings: 26 4 FT CMC 4
User submitted photos of window balances.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, and thanks for posting. Looks like your top attachment is winged, while your bottom is not. Since this doesn't match any of our standard Series, your balance will have to be specially made.

Before I can work on that, though, I'll need to figure out what that bottom shoe is. Check out our 15-001 and 15-002 and tell me which is a closer match.
Comparison of <a href='http://www.swisco.com/Channel-Balance-Shoe/pd/Replacement-Sash-Support-Channel-Balance-Shoes/15-001'>15-001</a> & 15-002

Can you also confirm the length? Based on your stamp, it should be 27". Please make sure to only measure the metal channel. Do not include the nylon attachments in this measurement.
The bottom shoe is closer to 15-001 but it looks different than the actual piece. It is winged just as the top and I have attached four additional images. The metal length is 27"
A customer submitted image of their channel balance shoe.
Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I see. I apologize for the confusion! I couldn't see the shoe wings in your picture. In that case, I think you should go with our S385-27 channel balance. This uses our 15-004 shoe, which has a 1-3/32" depth and wings like your own. Check it out and let me know what you think!
Yes! I think that is the right part. I will proceed with an order. Thank you very much for your assistance. This is such a great service.
Can you explain the 'options'? I don't know what to select...
Profile picture of Tom
The stamp option represents the strength of the channel balance. Looks like your original was 26 4, which often corresponds to our 2640 option. However, I recommend that you weigh your window sash and compare that weight to the rating shown for the 2640 just to be sure.
A home owner from San Diego CA says:
The weight of my window sash is 22.5 lbs so you are absolutely correct. Thank you very much!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)