SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window channel balance - Caldwell 14 4 FS

A quick learner from help identifying a replacement part says:
I need to find a replacement channel balance; the spring broke when we were raising the window. We were able to remove the balance.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 351 or our Series 390.

Now, as you can see, the only difference between these two Series is their bottom shoe. The Series 351 uses the 15-002 while the Series 390 uses the 15-001. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
Comparison of <a href='http://www.swisco.com/Channel-Balance-Shoe/pd/Replacement-Sash-Support-Channel-Balance-Shoes/15-001'>15-001</a> & 15-002
A quick learner from Window Channel Balances says:
Hi, Tom,

I measured the shoe and it's 1 inch, so looks like the Series 351 matches. However, how do I determine the stamp? Also, the spring measures 4 1/2 inches. Is this balance measuring 4 1/2 inches also?

Thanks for replying.
Profile picture of Tom
Don't worry about the length of the spring. You should compare the stamp to our options. In this case, a stamp of 14 4 usually corresponds to our 1440 option. However, I recommend that you weigh your window sash just to make sure. Each of our balances has a chart of options and sash weights to help you determine which is best.
A quick learner from Window channel balances says:
The sash weighs 11 pounds. As to the shoe, I measured the one we have, it measures in between 1 inch and 1 1/8 inch. Does it make a huge difference between series 351 or390? Will they both still fit if we order either one? They are very close.
Profile picture of Tom
Well, between 1" and 1-1/8" is the entire range for these two shoes, so it's hard to say. I recommend that you try to get a more accurate measurement. A good rule of thumb is that if it's over 1", then you likely have the 15-001. Its depth could have worn down over time.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)