SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window channel balances

A home owner from Thousand Oaks, CA says:
width-1/2", length-metal portion 33", overall length-34"

I think it is non-tilted window.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
This resembles our Series 385 channel balance. Look at our S385-33 with a 3240 option and let me know if this is a good match.
A quick learner says:
Thank you for your prompt response. I will order (2) of S385-33 and try it. If it works, I will order it more and post it.
A quick learner says:
I installed it. It fitted. Compare to original, it is hard to open and close the window. So I think that I should change the option. Should I have to increase (3250 or 3260) or decease (3230 or 3220) the option for the next order?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... if the problem was the spring, you shouldn't have an issue for opening and closing. The issue may be with the shoe, instead. Please look at the original balance and tell me the depth of the shoe. If it's 1" or less, you may need to shave down the new shoe a little, since it is slightly larger than 1". That may help the operation of the window.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)