SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window comes crashing down--balances?

A home owner from Hyde Park, Ny says:
I need to order replacement parts for windows TGB5-0-40, prod order #465610, size 31-5 x 53-4. I believe I need spiral balance rods and pivot shoes, but not certain. When I unlock the windows the pane comes crashing down. The catch at the bottom of the rod is broken. I also need a few of the top window handles. Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, Laurie. Thanks for posting! It definitely sounds like your spiral balances are the problem.

Now, you may be in luck. It's possible that you just need to charge these balances. Please take a look at our 75-005 and 75-006 charging tools for non-tilt and tilt windows, respectively. You will want one of these tools depending on whether your window is tilt or non-tilt.

Now, look at the following guides for these two types of windows. This should give you an idea of what you can do to charge these balances to render them operable.

If your windows are still dropping, you may need to replace the balances. The best place to start is by looking at our Replacement Spiral Balances Starting Page. Simply follow the steps to identify what Series balance you need!

As for the catch at the bottom of the balance and the top window handles, I am not sure what you would need. Can you upload a few pictures of this broken hardware for me to look at? This will help me identify possible replacements.
A home owner says:
Hi Tom, I definitely need to replace the spiral balances because the pivot shoes broke....unless it's just a matter of replacing the pivot shoes.

I have attached a few photos of the rod, broken pivot shoe and handle. I have tilt windows and the rods are 25" long, 5/8' diameter, with a red tip. It looks like I would need the series 600.

Could you advise me on which pivot shoes I'd need to purchase, as well as whether or not I would need to purchase the charging tool as well.

Thank you.
A customer submitted photo of various window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us Laurie. You can definitely replace the pivot shoe by itself, without needing to replace the entire spiral balance. However, I can't really tell what pivot shoe you may have based on that image. It's simply too damaged for me to identify.

Is there another, undamaged pivot shoe I can see that would be identical? Perhaps from the other side of the window, or from a similar window elsewhere in the house? I would also need to know its thickness and width. In the meantime, please look through our selection of Pivot Lock Shoes and see if maybe you can find a match here.

As for your lift, it looks somewhat similar to our 26-147 Sash Lift. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Finally, if you have a tilt window, I would recommend the 75-006 charging tool. Keep in mind, your balance still may be broken, but it's hard to say for sure. It's always best to double check to make sure it doesn't just need to be charged, instead.
A home owner says:
I have attached a few photos of the pivot shoe.

A customer submitted photo of a pivot lock shoe.
Profile picture of Tom
Great pictures! Thank you, Laurie. I recognize this pivot shoe. We don't have an exact replacement, but please take a look at our 15-070 Pivot Shoe and compare it to your hardware. Do you think you can use this as a substitute?
A quick learner says:
I'll place an order for the 15-070 and give it a try. Two more questions, will the 15-070 work with the 600 series, 5/8" diameter rods?...and if these parts don't fit my windows, can they be returned?
Thanks again.
Profile picture of Tom
The 15-170 should work with the Series 600 spiral balance, yes. Should you need to return this hardware, you can consult our Return/Exchange Policy for more details. Let me know how it works out!
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,
The 15-070 pivot shoes worked great. We did however run into another problem once we pulled the window out. The piece that engages the pivot shoe, located on the bottom of the window was broken. It was actually just the little tip on the smaller piece that was broken off. I need one for each side of the window. see photo.
User submitted a photo of window parts.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Hi Laurie!

Take a look at the 26-356 Pivot Bar Set, Thermal Gard.

Do you think this could work?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)