SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window crank operator quality

A contractor from Southern California says:
I bought some casement track from you recently, but decided to pick up operators locally across the counter. They were less expensive, but were of a very low quality, apparently; the knurled crank gear popped out on my first try opening it on the very first window. Looks like it sheared the staking and screwed right out. I decided not to swap-out the rest.
I took the 60 year old operator apart, cleaned and lubed it and put it back. I replaced the operator on an adjacent window with a new one for comparison and although it did not blow up on first try the quality of action was way inferior to the veteran operator.

The operator that I purchased locally and that seem to corner the local market are Prime-Line. I'm hoping yours are of different manufacture and higher quality.

Thanks,
JW

P.S.
You guys take the prize for e-mail response time. Much appreciated.
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Our 39-001 and 39-002 window crank operators are are a popular, we have not received any complaints of the crank gear popping out. Before you install a replacement operator make sure that your window opens and closes freely without an operator installed. Lubricate if necessary and scrape away any built up paint and dirt.
A home owner from Texas says:
I too was looking at the Prime-Line / Slide-Co crank operators. Are your crank operators made from a different manufacturer?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
I do not know for sure because Prime Line does not indicate who their manufacturer for this operator style is.
A contractor from California says:
Swisco's is definitely a different product; has a subtly different casting than Primeline's. I think it had a slightly bigger gear, too.

Primelines blew-up immediately, my client's are still fine.

JW
A quick learner from el paso texas says:
i am looking to buy your product 39-002. does your company still exist? the product i bought at lowes last week just broke. read your posts. How much does the 39-002 cost? can you also give me the cost of the 39-001. thanks.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
The 39-001 and 39-002 style operator are still available. Click on the product codes to view their product pages. You can purchase these products right online on our Web site.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)