Window is hard to latch

A home owner from Ca says:
I got the following single hung windows.

MFR: PHP-28 Series:810S
A-L-I@ VALIDATOR

The top latches of the bottom window cannot get disengaged easily for my wife to move it upward and open. Closing is also difficult which requires lots of downward force to engage the latches.

Please advise of anything that can be done to make these opening and closing processes easier. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Can I see a few pictures of the damaged parts in question? That would help us come up with a solution for you. Thanks!
A home owner says:
Sorry it took so long. Here are the pictures. One vendor recommended replacing sash balancers, but I do not know where they are, and they may not be available due to Philips Products are out of business now. Thank you for your help in advance.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
The balances may be the problem, yes. I've noticed that people who have purchased the lock you have have also purchased our Series 380 channel balance. That said, you will need yo remove the sash and balance itself in order to confirm the length, option, and whether or not the Series 380 is correct to begin with. Check out the video below to see how you can do this.
A home owner says:
I took out the window to check the condition of balancers. The balancer looks relatively clean without any major debris or dust on track or itself that could prevent the window from opening up.

I did notice however that, when the window is not completely closed, the latches at top was not fully engaged. Once I press down the movable window hard enough, the latches create a large clung sound, the window is fully down, and the latches are engaged.

So even when I pull the latches toward me to get disengaged and push up the window while still maintaining the disengagement, the window cannot go up. It seems as though the latches are still hooked, and only after I push upward hard enough, the window obliges.

So maybe balancers are not the issues; latches could be. One picture shows some offset between the latch cover and the hook. Could this be the cause? Please advise.
User submitted photos of a window lock & keeper.
A home owner says:
One more picture.
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If the sashes are moving freely, then yes, I think you're right in saying that the balances are not the issue. The sashes might have been cut with a very close tolerance in matching up with very little play. Clean the interlocks between the top and bottom sashes to start out. If you still run into problems, see if the bottom sill is bowed and check the corners. You'll want to keep an eye out ofr any weather stripping that might be hanging up. Finally, spray the locking mechanism with some silicone.
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.