SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window operator Help

A home owner from Bloomington, MN. says:
Hello!I just got off the phone with one of your customer service reps who suggested I send a picture of what I'm looking for.

The attached jpeg is a 5/16 inch square end, crank handle for a casement window for house here in Bloomington, MN. The house was built in 1952 and quite honestly I'm not sure if the windows are original or not. Please let me know if you have any of these in stock...I checked out your online catalog and I don't see it in there.....or if you know where I can get a few (3 for sure and even 6 if they are available and not overly expensive).

I look forward to hearing back from you.

User submitted a photo of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting on the Discussion board, Dan. Pictures are a huge help.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that the 5/16" square handle you show in your photo is still available. The ones we now carry (like our 39-347, for example) are only 1/4". If you want, send us a photo of the operator itself and of the window it's used on. Maybe we can suggest a new operator. Let me know!
A quick learner says:
Dave and the rest of the SWISCO team,

I appreciate all the help that you provided. I've had zero luck locating these so I've "made" my own. I took at 5/16" square keystock that I got at the local hardware store and beveled the edges with a grinder so it would engage the inside of the operator. And it worked! Now I just have to take a torch to bend the keystock to mimic the original.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Oh, that's a great idea! Let me know how it works out, Dan. If you have any other question, we will try our best to help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)