SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window pivot bar

A quick learner from Boston, MA says:
This for an old window sash in Boston Brownstone windows.

I've included photos of the window corners with broken and unbroken bars, as well as a shot of the balance shoe.

I don't know if it's possible to identify the part from this, but I can't figure out how to remove a working pivot bar. After removing both screws, I can't get anything to budge to allow me to get inside.

Can the balance shoe be replaced without taking the entire window out?

Looks like i need to replace both the pivot bar and shoe.

User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
First, take a look at these parts, which I think look close to your own: 15-105 pivot shoe, 15-056 Pivot shoe retainer, and the 26-164 tilt bar. Compare them to your own hardware to see if they match.

To loosen the pivot shoe, get a large flat-head screw driver, place it inside the metal cam, and turn the screw driver towards you. Be careful with the cam, as the shoe might spring up seeing as how it's under the balance spring tension. Bring the shoe gently up to the balance to release any more tension and unscrew the balance at the top. Remove the balance and raise the cam to the top of window track; there should be a cut out at the top for the bottom sash and a bottom cut out for the top sash. See the video below for more details.
Thanks. The parts look right but there is no screws holding the pivot bar, the screws you see are on the right angle side. Don't understand on how to take out the pivot bars from the sash. Do you have any ideas?

Also, see the clips like the one shown in the attached picture that cover the ends of the sash lifting bar.

User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Hi, I was able to open the lower side of sash and took out the pivot bar assembly. The different views of the pivot bar rivited to a plastic L shaped piece are shown in the pictures.

Hopefully this will help you identify the pivot bar assembly better. No manufacturer names.

Also, need the plastic piece that covers the edge of the sash lifting bar.

User submitted photos of a pivot bar.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! For the end cap on the sash, see our 26-051. Let me know if this is a good match. As for the pivot corner, see our 26-421 and 26-376 and see if these could possibly work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)