SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window repair/adjustment

A handy person from Katy, TX says:
My home was built in 1981 and has around 25 black aluminum frame storm windows that are original. A few years back I replaced some of the channel balances on the windows that were worse off. They were purchased from you as S370-29, option 2810. I also replaced a few of the top sash guides at that time, code 18-006. I'm now looking into replacing the wool pile, grey in color, no center plastic strip, cloth base, and measurements of 3/16" x 1/4" which I believe equates to the black option of product code 58-127. I'm fine with these type of self service options and don't really need help here.

Instead where I need help is in figuring out how to make the inside, non-locking portion of the storm window from grabbing and getting caught in the frame. It looks like the die cast pieces in the upper corners as well as the plastic guide pieces in the lower corners have worn down over the years and are now getting caught inside the channel. There also are some channels that have paint on them and a few spots where the metal channel has been scratched as a previous owner tried to remedy the problem by prying the channel open more with a screwdriver. I need help in identifying these parts as well as some kind of instructions or video on how to replace it or tips on how to make it work easier. There are some other issues with these windows (latches and slide bolts that don't engage or need replacing), but I'd like to work on one thing at a time.

As a side note, I have 5 awning windows and would like to try and identify the type of operator used. What identifying features or marking should I look for on them?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I believe you are talking about the interior storm windows used in the old Capitol single hung widows. I believe that he top tilt corner key is our 95-003, while the bottom corner key with the pad could be our 95-005. These are self locking corner keys. To install, use a block of wood and hammer to carefully knock the frame apart. That will allow you to remove the old corners. You would then tap in the new corners. See our video on awning window operators to help identify yours.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)