SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window retaining tab for discontinued Emco storm door

A home owner from South Orange, NJ says:
I have solid Emco Forever II storm door, vintage 1992, that is in great shape except for the plastic fatigue failure of all of the clips that hold the screen in the door. (Window retaining tab - plastic, #6239, in the manual for door #971508, see image)

The door has been discontinued, and Emco says they no longer have replacement parts. The industry seems to have shifted to a narrower gauge of thumbscrew, so I haven't been able to get replacement parts that fit.

Any thoughts on compatible replacement parts, or a "McGyver" ad-hoc solution strong enough to hold in a big storm panel?

Many thanks,

User submitted photos of storm door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hi, Susan. The clip you need is no longer available, I'm afraid. What I have done myself is take our 70-098S storm door clip and drilled a large hole in it to accept the screw that goes into the door. It has been a good substitute for me in the past. Check it out and see what you think.
A home owner from South Orange, NJ says:

That is what I was afraid of. We will have to decide whether having a set of new holes between the originals is what we want for our front door.

I'm actually pretty irritated with the manufacturer (EMCO/Andersen) for not bothering to maintain spare parts availability for the products they sell...they are a division of Andersen, and whatever excuses they make, I may hold it against Andersen when it comes time for my major and majorly expensive window replacement project.

Thanks so much for the suggestion on which hardware to use.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)