SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window sash spring

A landlord from Iowa says:
I am trying to find replacement parts for some old windows in a property I own. The windows are still in pretty good shape but I can't find the aluminum track that the windows go in. I think I might be able to clean them up and just try to replace the springs that help hold the window open. I'm wondering if I might be able to modify them using the series 305 or series 306 spiral balance parts shown. I am including pictures of the tracks and the brand on the track shows UNI-Q TAKE OUT - or the Q is just part of the logo - not sure. The last picture is the part at the bottom of the spring that goes at the bottom of the window. Please let me know if you think this will work. Thank you, Tom
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I don't believe what you are trying to do is an easy fix! First off, we carry the 20-004 bottom nylon sash clip that may be what is missing on your spring end. If you want to try to swap out the springs for a spiral balance, I think you would have to use Our Series 400 non tilt type. To connect the sash to the balance, I would suggest using our 17-030 bracket. You will also need a charging tool to add tension to balances, so see our 75-004. These are just educated guesses, though. Switching out one type of balance for another is always tricky and there are no guarantees that it will work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)