SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window snap-in glazing

A handy person from Louisiana says:
When installing the snap-in, does the bottom slip between the glass edge and the window frame? In other words does the glass sit on the plastic glaze, and if so, the glazing must be installed before the caulking begins to set. I could not make this out in the video I watched several times.

Or is the flat bottom of the glazing squeeze between (against) the glass and the ridge of the aluminum window frame? My attempt on my window repair (glazing installation) was a failure, I did secure the glass with the caulking, but was never able to figure out the glazing installation. I also believe at this time I had the incorrect size glazing for this window. I did not have any old glazing to compare with.

Thank you for any help you provide,
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm having trouble visualizing what you describe. Normally, you would apply some caulking on the lip in the window, lay the glass in place, then finally install the glazing bead. I'm also not sure what type of glazing you have. If you'd like, you can send us some photos of what your are trying to do. The video in question is a good representation of how we replace glazing, however. It covers everything.
A handy person from Louisiana says:
Thanks for the reply. I believe At this time that the plastic glazing fits against the newly installed glass and the outer lip of the aluminum window frame. Therefore one should consider the glass thickness and the width of the aluminum window frame channel to determine the correct size of the glazing required, assuming you do not have the old glazing to compare to. It's not a one size fits all.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Each window manufacturer designs their own type of glazing. You are correct that one size doesn't necessarily fit all, which is why we carry so many different sizes. If you could tell me your window manufacturer and the series window you have, we could see what we have that would work better. Seeing your glazing and knowing its dimensions would be even better.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)