SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window - spiral balance replacement

A handy person from Virginia says:

I am trying to find a replacement spiral balance for my tilt-in windows. They appear to be an S900-28, but the tip looks like a black plastic piece. On your website the only options are for green, red, and yellow. Can you use the yellow tip ones? I have included 3 picture. Here are additional facts about the windows.

- 3/8" diameter balance
- about 28" long (picture taken at a slight angle)
- townhouse built around 2001 (original windows)
- very cheap windows
- on ones where the balances have broke, the windows still does not feel that heavy

Is there a specific part I should be ordering? Thanks. Also, I am a returning customer, you have a Great website! Wonderful knowledge and part selection, I recommend you to a lot of people.

- Syed
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Syed, thanks for using our site! What color tip you use depends on the weight of your sash. How heavy is yours? You could be okay with our Red Tip, which can carry a window sash weight of 10 through 22 pounds, but you should weigh your sash on a scale just to be sure.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)