SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window spring hardware

A home owner from Catlett Virginia says:
My 1970's vintage double hung windows use a spring in a channel on each side to hold them up. The springs are simply attached to the bottom of the window via a plastic clip/foot that snaps into the coils of the spring and resesses into the channel about and 1/8 inch. Offset wings on the clip/foot span the channel opening and using the spring tension just hang on to the bottom of the window to hold it open. These clips have begun to break and when they do the spring retracts into the channel and the window will no longer stay up. I have been able to successfully retrieve the springs but I need new plastic clip to hold the spring in place. Can you help me find these clippy things. Attached is a photo of the bottom of a window showing a clip in place and two views of a clip with one of the wings broken off.
User submitted photo of their broken plastic clips.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Good Afternoon,

Take a look at the 20-004 spring retainer. This retainer used to be red or green but are now just a natural plastic color.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)