SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window tilt latch

A home owner from Buffalo, NY says:
Hi: I've been trying to figure out who the manufacturer was of my windows. Even the guy who put them in (he no longer does it) couldn't tell me.........I think I've got it finally. It must be Traco. Seeing the patent number 5.139.291 brought up Traco...........Now it seems hard to find the exact size, etc. to replace mine. I have two broken on the bathroom windows. I have attached a picture of an installed non broken one that is on the living room window, and I have attached a picture of one of the broken ones from the bathroom window. Can you tell me what part number I should order from you? Thanks - Tim
User submitted photos of a tilt latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Start by looking at our 26-263 and 26-264. The thumb lever itself is a different style but that shouldn't affect its overall function. Just make sure the measurements match.

As for the manufacturer, I can't say for sure. To be honest, patent numbers aren't the best way to determine this for a couple reasons. The first is, patent numbers tend to change over the years. Your patent number may now apply to a whole different selection of hardware since the date it was made. The second is that many window manufacturers use off-brand replacement parts, so while the window may be one brand a replacement part may be another. I know it's frustrating but it's best to take it on a case-by-case basis.
A home owner from Buffalo, NY says:
Thanks, Tom - those seem to be the right thing. I just ordered two of both from you. Thanks again! - Tim
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)