SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window will not open

A handy person from Texas says:
I have a window that will not open and the sash balancer is outside the window frame. All of the videos show to push the balancer back down but it will not allow the window to open. Can you please help?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like the top sash guides on your sash are broken. These are little caps located on the top corners of the sash. Can you confirm? If so, I'll need to see a picture of one removed from the frame (an undamaged version, if possible) and we can recommend a good replacement.

It also looks like you're missing the take-out clip. See our 16-002 for a possible replacement. You could also drill a hole and install a screw as a temporary measure. See the video below for how to remove these balances normally.
A handy person from Texas says:
I am hoping this is what you are asking about. My problem is that the window will not open at all.
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Yep, that black cap is the one! It looks like it broke, which means there's nothing keeping the balance from shooting up. We can help, but we will need to see it removed.

Watch the video I posted above to see how to remove this kind of sash from the window. You will either need to purchase a new 16-002 clip, since your original appears to be missing, or you will need to install a screw as a temporary measure.
A quick learner says:
I understand the process to take the window out but I cannot get the window to move. It is stuck in the closed position. I have also pushed the balance all the way back down and the window will not move.
Profile picture of Paul
That is very strange. Even with the balances broken you should be able to at least raise it. You may have to have a service person come out and look at it, as things may have to be taken apart.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)