SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window will not stay open.

A quick learner from Brooklyn NY says:
Hi, can you help me with this? I recently replaced the two pivot shoes and coils in my CertianTeed window that a purchased on your web site. All the parts were the correct size and fit properly, but my window still will not stay up. Is it the pivot shoes or something else that keeps the window pane in the open position? I don't see any other hardware or springs or rope. what am I missing? Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Vincent
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Vincent. Hopefully we can help you out. First, though: what was the stamp on your original coil?
The stamp on the original coil was 335.
Profile picture of Paul
Two S170-335 coils installed in a window can support a window sash weight of 10 lbs. What is the weight of your sash? Is it heavier? If so, you may have had the wrong balances installed in the first place.
It feels like its about 10/12 lbs. But the window worked great for over 18 years with the original 335 coil. I have 3 thoughts about it.

I used the old style shoe, may need the new type.

I may have installed them in the wrong direction.

Or something in the vinyl window frame is broken. Though I don't see any cracks or anything broken on the frame.

I installed the arrow side of the shoe, the side with the coil screw, towards the inside of the windows. I believe that's the way the originals were. Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Could you give me the exact weight? You can find this by placing it on any common bathroom scale. If it is over 10 lbs., that may explain why your sash can't stay up.
Yes the sash weighed 12lbs.
Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Aha! That might be it, then. In that case, you may want to try our S170-336 coil balance. That might work better for you. That said, however, I can't be entirely sure. Since the coil balance you had in there before wasn't working, either, it's possible you didn't have the correct balance installed to begin with. Without knowing exactly what the window had, it is difficult to say what would work for a certainty.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)