Window will not stay up

A home owner from Oak Park, CA says:
The spring or roller seems to be damaged such that the window will not stay up after it is raised; it just slides back down. I don't see any clear way to get into the side panel of the window where this housing is located.

I'm sure we are not the only ones in the world with his problem, but I do not see any information on how to check where the problem is and fix it.

Thanks for any help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! You're right, this problem happens often enough for older windows. It sounds like it's a problem with your window balance. Have you tried removing the window sash to get to the balance in order to identify it? If you can take a few pictures of the balance, I can see what kind you have and offer a few solutions for you. Let me know!
A home owner from Oak Park says:
Thanks for your help. Please see images attached. I do not know which side is damaged, but both sides seem to be pretty good candidates.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us! If I had to guess, I'd say the damaged balance is the one that is missing its spring. Either way, the balances definitely appear to be the proble with your window.

Now, before I can offer an applicable replacement for these, I just need to know a bit more information about the bottom attachment. Please take a look at our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment?
A home owner from Oak Park says:
The depth is 1-3/32", like 15-004 in the link you sent.

Are your replacement parts typically found in hardware stores, Home Depot, Do It Center, etc? If so, that would facilitate a quick replacement. Otherwise, I can order.

Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you. In that case, I'd say you're looking at a Series 350 channel balance, specifically the S350-22 with the 2120 option.. Take a look and see if you think that's a good replacement for your own hardware.

As for ordering it, you can purchase these balances directly from our main site. You can take a look at the various shipping options we provide by looking at our Shipping Policy.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.