Windows slamming shut. Need round balance with hook

A home owner from Maryland says:
PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a window which was installed, hmmmm, lets say 1973. The frame of the windows are metal. I need to replace the channel balance to keep the windows from slamming shut, and/or not staying open on their own. My channel balance is round, with what looks like a huge metal hook at the bottom. Inside the cylindar balance is a spring, and another screw/twisting metal piece. I have looked all over trying to replace it because I only need it for one window, and I do not want to replace all of my windows. Please tell me you have the part.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

I strongly believe we'll be able to help you identify and replace your window balances.

You mention "channel balances" but then you describe your balance as "round", which leads me to believe you have what is known as a spiral balance. Take a look at our balance page to get started.

Also, take a few photos of your balance (removed from the window). Include pictures of the balance attachments (ends) and any markings you may find. Also, give us the length of the metal portion of the balance only.

If you have a spiral balance, see if you have a certain color tip (at the top of the balance). If you have a channel balance, see if there are any stamps on the balance.
Mike, you are right, after further research I realized I have a sprial balance. Unfortunately, my balance is so old I dont think it has a color. I will take a picture tonight and post it first thing in the morning. Also, I can I tell how heavy my window is, since I don't have a color?
Profile picture of Tom
You can remove the window sash from the frame and weight it on a scale (such as a bathroom scale).

By the way, sometimes the color of the tip is white or black.
Okay, I was able to take a few pictures of the part I need to replace. I think the metal piece at the bottom is broken, so that's why the window will not operate properly. Hopefully, you can identify what that piece is.
User submitted photo of spiral balance.
Profile picture of Tom

Can you please give us the length of the tube portion only?

How to measure the length of the Series 303 spiral balance.
How to measure the length of the Series 303 spiral balance.

the tube is 23 inches.
Profile picture of Tom
It appears your replacement balances are the Swisco S303-23 Spiral Balance.

We also recommend you replace the bottom sash clips that are screwed on the bottom side of the sash, 17-018 and 17-019 Sash Clips. These will lock on to the black shoe on the end of the spiral.
Wonderful news!!! Now all i need is one flat window sash lock that looks like this picture and I can place my order. Can you please let me know if you have something similar? The problem that I am finding is all window sash locks are too wide....I need something that is flat!
User submitted photo of window lock.
Profile picture of Tom
Take a look at the 90-031 Window Lock. Make sure to measure the screw hole center to hole center distance on your original and compare it to the 90-031.
A home owner from Temple Hills says:
Hi Thanks for your response. i am going to purchase everything today, however I wanted to add that the window lock does not have a screw in the center, but two screws on the side. Should I order the part 90-031?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I believe that the 90-031 will work, yes.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace the Keller Series 303 Window Balances
How to replace the Keller Series 303 Window Balances
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.