SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Wool Pile Identification

A quick learner from St. Peters, MO says:
I just bought a home and found one of my windows was missing all of its Wool Pile, I took this sample out of another identical window. The measurements appear to be 3/16" by 3/16" but I wasn't sure if this stuff has a tendency to read shorter measurements if it has been used since it's been compressed for so long. I just want to make sure I have everything correct before I purchase.
User submitted photos of wool pile.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, wool pile can be worn down over time, but we do have one that matches your dimensions. Check out our 58-002. Do you think that would work well? Is your wool pile, as it is now, an insufficient seal?
A quick learner from St. Peters, MO says:
Honestly it is a little hard to say. I don't know if the windows were put in poorly or if this is a common problem with windows but the seal formed by the wool pile appears to be better at the top/bottom of the window than toward the middle. At quick glance it looks like the window sits close to edge and the top and bottom and it bows out a bit in the middle. This makes me wonder if maybe I should/could go a little larger to fix that problem, but I am not sure if it will make the window harder to operate now that there is more pressure toward the top and bottom where it is more flush.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I think I see the problem. I have a few suggestions.

There might be an adjustment screw in the middle of the main frame, right in the track -- that pulls the track closer to the sash. Now, if you don't have that, you will have to remove the molding from the sides of the window and shim them up.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)