Would like keyed lock on outside of my door

A home owner from Bethesda, MD says:

My patio door is wooden with wooden frame, measuring 1 3/4 inches in thickness. The present lock can only be opened from inside. I would like to change to a lock that can be opened with keys from the outside. The existing lock component measures 4 1/2 inches on the door side and 5 3/8 inches on the frame side. I've attached some pictures. I've a handy man to install the lock and can re-size the holes if necessary. Please recommend a suitable product. Thanks.

Existing sliding door lock.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, and thank you for posting. Please take a look at our 82-316 and 82-317 Tribeca Gliding Door Keyed Lock and see if these could be what you're looking for. Let me know!
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick response. I looked at 82-317 and have trouble understanding how it works. Do you have pictures showing what it looks like when installed? How does the locking mechanism work for a sliding door, since it's a rod-like thing and not a hook? Are the pictures showing the same thing from a different view? Are there other components?

Also, is this to be a replacement of my existing lock, or an additional lock? It seems that it can only be locked/unlocked from the outside, is that true? Do you have something that can be locked from the inside with a lever, and then unlocked from the outside with a key? Finally, my door closes from right to left when looking from outside (the pictures are taken from inside), do I need a left- or right-hand lock? Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Take a look at our 82-043, which appears to be the same kind of thumb latch as you have currently installed. Note the thin spindle. In your door, that spindle is currently inside the mortise lock--the hook piece seen in your picture that keeps the door locked. When you flip the thumb lever, the spindle opens and closes that hook, locking and unlocking your door.

Now take a look at the 82-316, for example. Do you see the round protrusion in the back? See the little rectangular slot in that protrusion? The spindle for the 82-043 goes inside that slot. You would install the 82-316 or 82-317 on the opposite side of your door and have the two meet inside the door.

Keep in mind that you might have to cut a little off of both the thumb turn and the key turn tails so that they comfortably meet in the middle of the mortise latch. In the case of new installations, we recommend that you seek the aid of a professional, as it can be a bit tricky.
A home owner says:
Thanks for the clear explanation. Is the size of the spindle pretty standard so that 82-316 would work with most thumb latches? Will it work with a 1 3/4" thick door? My door closes from right to left when looking from outside (the pictures are taken from inside), do I need 82-316 or 82-317?
Profile picture of Tom
I'm not sure if it can work with all Andersen latches, but I do know it is made specifically to work with the 82-043. Now, if your panel slides from right to left looking from the outside, you'd want the 82-317. This lock assembly is right hand based on looking from the outside in and by which panel is operating.
A home owner from Bethesda says:
I ordered 82-317 and it works like a charm! Thanks a lot. You guys are the best!
Profile picture of Tom
Of course! It was our pleasure. Please let me know if there's anything else we can do to help.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.