Wright retainer strips

A quick learner from Downers Grove says:
I have a Wright metal storm door/screen combo whose retainer strips were always a bear and now don't work and are an old design. It used to work by squeezing one side of it into a 6 mm gap in the frame parallel to the insert ,on the inside, with the remainder lapping over the insert. The replacement part may be impossible to find, and I always hated the design. . I cant either get the glass in or put the screen back in', so have an empty frame (with a door handle sticking into the void). The recess is 8 mm or 5/8 inch to the insert. Could I use your long recessed plastic clip , drilling holes in a black metal (I believe steel) frame?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
In the last twenty five years, storm door companies have found that designing plastic retainer strips instead of using the old fashion storm door clips and screw combination is less expensive. The problem is that every different door company (and even the same company) changes the retainer strip almost every year, making it almost impossible to stock them. We suggest using something like our 70-180 storm door clip and drilling a hole for a 33-020 screw.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.