SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Wrong balance shoe

A quick learner from Macungie, PA says:
The balance shoe you sent is on the left(15-195) and the old one that I need is on the right.
User submitted a photo of a balance shoe.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry to hear the 15-195 didn't work for you. I can't tell from this picture, but I'm going to guess that your old shoe has a deep groove on the front side of the "stem." Can you confirm?

If so, you have an older type of shoe and balance that are discontinued and no longer available. The 15-195 will not work as a replacement. You would need a new Series 795 channel balance to replace the old balance system entirely.

An alternative is that your balance is uniquely thin. If your old shoe does not have that groove I mentioned, measure the width of the metal channel and tell me what it is. We can work from there.
A home owner from Macungie PA 18062 says:
Thanks for helping Tom. The issue is that my old balance shoe has an almost complete half circle curve, like an upside down J, where it attaches by pivoting around the iron rod at the bottom of the channel balance. The 15-195 has a quarter circle curve and then is almost straight so it wouldn't slide in around the rod. Since there are many, many homeowners in my community who have had the same problem with their windows, and you have discontinued the old channel balance rod and shoe, it was probably poorly designed. I am trusting that the new design will be better. So, I will need to order ten of the new Series 795 channel balances to fix my windows. Would you send me whatever form I need to fill out to order those, please.
Profile picture of Tom
We find that the bottom shoe for the Series 795 works very well in the balance unit as a whole. Another thing to keep in mind is the width of the balance, I forgot to mention that before. It's important to confirm that your metal channel is 9/16" wide. If it's skinnier, the Series 795 will not work. If that's the correct size, though, then you're good to go. You can place your order whenever you wish directly from our site.
A quick learner from Macungie, PA says:
I measured the channel and it is exactly 9/16 wide so we now have a plan. I will order the Series 795 balance. Thanks for your help. Fay
Profile picture of Tom
My pleasure. Thank you for your business, it means a lot to us. Please let me know how it works out!
A quick learner from Macungie says:
Bet you thought we had solved my problem. Not so easy, I am trying to order channel balances & need more help. I have identified S795-32 as the size I need. It is asking me for a stamp option and the only markings I can find on my old channel are 320 (possibly length?) or BISN. Do I need to choose a stamp option? My tilt window is a Patriot 1900 single hung, 35 1/4" long. Also, if I am reading the features correctly, this channel balance comes with a balance pivot shoe already attached. Is this the 15-195 that I already have? The note also says that I should replace the channel balance on both sides of any window that I am fixing -- not just one side. Is that true -- I need to know before I decide how many I need. Fay
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, the stamp option is very important. This indicates how strong the spring is. 320 is actually pretty odd for this kind of balance. It should be "32" and then a letter. Fortunately, there's a way to determine what you need without a stamp. You should see a chart on our S795-32 store page. All you need to do is weigh your sash on a scale and refer to this chart.

The Series 795 comes with the 15-195 by default, yes. As long as your old shoe is 1-1/4" wide then this should be good.

We do recommend replacing both balances. This will make sure the new balance doesn't have to do extra work making up for the weaker older balance. Of course, at the end of the day it's up to you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)