33 DS 38 balance

A quick learner from escondido, ca says:
I need balances for 8 windows, they measure 34 inches (just the metal) and have the attachment as noted in the photo. The windows are large, single hung, no tilt, shashes measure 44" wide, 36" tall, double glass. I think they weigh about 35-30 pounds. The Balance has a stamp of "33 DS 38" on it. I also need 4 sets of sash cams as depicted. I want to make sure I order the right ones.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. First, based on your picture of the top sash guide, I would go with our 18-171. This may be a good match.

I'm not sure about the balance. You only show us the top attachment, which resembles an older version of our 19-005. This narrows it down a little, but I would still like to see the bottom attachment just to be sure.

Can you also confirm the exact weight of the sash? These are delicate systems and I just want to make sure we get you the best possible match.
A quick learner from escondido says:
Here is the other end. The windows weigh 38 pounds. Also attached is the breakthrough I am experiencing on all of my windows. Thoughts?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! Based on your bottom and top attachment, I'd recommend our S385-34 balance. However, it will need to be custom made with a special 3365 option. This option can carry a sash weight of 35 through 39 pounds. The standard options we have for the S385-34 are too weak for your window. I would be happy to send you a custom balance order form for this balance, but before I do, please just confirm exactly how many you would need.

As for the break through you mentioned, it appears that the top sash guide broke. This happens quite often when a top sash guide gets too old. Check out the video below for our solution. Basically, you will need a new top sash guide. See our section here to locate the best match.
A quick learner from escondido, ca says:
Thank you very much. I would like to get these sooner as opposed to later. I need 8 of them, I have 4 windows. I'm also going to need new clips for all of those windows, the ones that pullout to allow you to secure the balances in place while you remove the windows. I can get the sash guides from the window manufacturer so that I don't have to guess on those or select something different. I'm also going to need some of the weather stripping that goes around all of the windows in my home, it looks like I can order those online from you folks so I will simply do that.

Look forward to your prompt reply and thank you so much for all of your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Great! Sounds like everything is in order, then. I will email you a custom order form and price quote for 8 of these balances. Just to reiterate, they will be our S385-34 with a 3365 option. Once you get the order form, you can add the custom item to your cart as if it were any other part and continue shopping as normal.
A quick learner from Escondido says:
Hello again,

I installed all the balances sent to me a while back and although they are adequate, they all require quite a bit of pressure to fully close the windows. They are fine up to the last 6 inches or so, then a lot of downward force is required.

I am in need of replacements all around again (this is a house on the beach and the salt air gets into the balances and rusts the springs pretty bad) and was wondering if a lesser tension spring is the answer or you have another idea. Also, let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! It does sound like the springs are a little strong. These were calibrated for a 38 pound sash (to be specific, they were calibrated to support any sashes weighing 35 through 39 pounds). You may want to double check the exact weight of the sashes in question just to be 100% sure.

Hi Tom,

I checked the weight and the sashes are 38 pounds but I still have a concern. When I close the window, it takes a lot of force to push the window down the last few inches (3 or so) such that the springs lift the sash once the lock is disengaged. Is this typical? Because the sashes interlock with the fixed pane's frame and the interlocking is this very narrow channel, the need to use pressure often makes it difficult to align the channels, making the windows hard to close completely. My thought is that less pressure and easier gliding would help.

Regardless, I still need to replace all the springs/balances because they are rusted from the ocean air so let me know your thoughts.

Again, thanks for all the help
One more thing, in addition to the last post above, the sashes measure 36 inches in length but the number 33 was on the original balances I had earlier replaced and I am not sure those were right to begin with. Could that be the problem?
Profile picture of Tom

It definitely sounds like your springs are too strong. What you describe is exactly what happens with springs that are too strong for the weight of the sash. If it's 38 pounds, though, then we shouldn't be running into this issue. Your springs have the proper calibration.

As for the length of the balance, it's can get a little convoluted. I'll do my best to explain. 

Your original balances were 34" long, which is the same as what you bought now. Those first two digits in your old stamp, 33, indicates the height of the visible glass for your sash. It's confusing, I know, but the height of the visible glass is how balance size is determined in this industry. The length of your channel balance should always be 1" more than the height of the visible glass. Hopefully that makes sense. 

Why do they do it that way? I have no idea. If I had my way then everything would be nice and uniform, but alas.

Either way, I don't think length would contribute to the problem you're having now. If it was too long then your balances would be poking out of the bottom of the sash and would basically be inoperable. If they were too short then you wouldn't be able to close your window at all; there wouldn't be enough cord to reach that far down, so the hook would just pop out of the jamb track when you tried. 

The only explanation for the issue you're experiencing is a spring that is too strong for your sash. I'm not sure I want to recommend a weaker spring for such a heavy sash, but it may be your only recourse. I just don't know why the 3365 stamp is too strong. It is specifically made for 38 pound sashes. 

How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.