balance length question

A quick learner from des Moines Iowa says:
my balance measures 25 inches. It is stamped 24. What does this mean?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That's normal, though the stamp should have a couple more numbers to it. Typically, the first two digits of the stamp will be one increment less than the total length of the metal channel. Do you know what Series you have? Does your stamp have more numbers to it? I'd be happy to make a recommendation, if you need one.
A quick learner from marathon ia says:
There are no other numbers that I see. I just ordered a different set of balances from you a couple of weeks ago that had more numbers, but all I saw on these was 24.

So If they are 25 inches long I need to order that length?

Thanks, Mike
A quick learner from marathon ia says:
it looks like I need the series 751 in 25 in length. it looks like I will have to take the plastic jamb liner out of the window to make the change. Does that sound correct?

thanks, Mike
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. Yes, you'll need to remove the plastic jamb liner to swap out balances. See the video below for more help.
I also recommend weighing your sash so that you can choose the right option. We have a chart on the S751-25 store page that lists each option and how much weight they can support. It's important to get the right spring strength, or else the balance won't work properly.
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.