broken tilt latches

A quick learner from Queens, NY says:
The tilt latches on this window have snapped off and need replacing. Unfortunately there is no label or ID on these windows (I inherited them with the apartment and while they are craptastic, they still keep most of the outside out). Right now I don't even know how to open the frame to get the broken part out. I'm a pretty handy guy who can follow directions, I just don't want to do anything without knowing I'm not going to have pieces of a window I can't get back together again. I'm also pretty sure this isn't the only window where the latches need replacing, just the obvious one. Fortunately they're all the same unknown make so if the latches are right / left different i will need a few of each. Hope you can help.

Thanks,
Stu N.
user submitted photos of missing tilt latches
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting on the discussion board and uploading your images, Stu.

I recommend removing the internal latch so you can get a better look at it. However, to get started with your research, take a look at the Swisco 26-007 Latch Release, the internal latch looks like the 26-069 Internal Latch. Also, you may need the internal spring, the 26-016 Spring, and the 26-017 Spring Retainer.
A quick learner from Queens NY says:
I would love to remove the broken latch but have no idea how to access it. Do you have instructions for how to do this, opening this sash to gain access, removing, and hopefully replacing? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at our slide latch assembly diagram.
A quick learner from Queens NY says:
Hi,
I don't think I'm being clear. I need instructions on how to actually OPEN UP THE WINDOW FRAME to access those parts so I can remove them, ID them get new ones and put them in. If you look at the pictures above the latch is inside. Right now I DON'T need instructions on assembling the latch but how to get at it.

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Tilt the window sash in and remove it from the frame and place it on a table. Using a screwdriver, remove the two top screws on the side of the sash. With a block of wood and a hammer, remove the top window rail from the glass. This should give you access to the top tilt parts.

Let me know how this works for you.
Slide Latch Assembly Diagram
Slide Latch Assembly Diagram
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.