can't close my casement window

A quick learner from west virginia says:
I bought this house about a year ago. I can't get the casement window to close without a fight for the last inch or two.
I think that's why the operator stripped out.
I've included pictures of the new one mounted, and the old one side by side.
It's your 39-156 operator, but I think I'm having the same problem. What do you see in these pictures?
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Please see our 39-031 and 39-032, these look to match. I would just confirm that the dimensions are the same.
A handy person from west virginia says:
I purchased the 39-156 operator because its dimensions exactly match the existing operator. The link on the short arm of my existing operator is 3 13/16", identical to that of the 39-156 operator. The 39-032 operator has a link on the short arm that is 4 7/16" long.

The SWISCO representative whom I spoke with on the phone suggested that the hardware may have been mounted by the factory too far to the left (too close to the hinged side). What are your thoughts?
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying! The theory our representative has sounds like it may be the case, actually. If the dimensions are identical to the 39-156, then you definitely want to stick with that. Unfortunately, the the original installers flubbed the positioning, you will have to reposition it yourself. The easy part will be moving the connecting bracket and track over on the sash, that will just require drilling new holes (careful not to hit the glass).

The difficult part will be the trim that goes over the operator. You may need a new one cut for you. A local carpenter should be able to help out.
A quick learner from Charleston, WV says:
I understand that I will have to move the connecting bracket and track over on the sash (maybe 1"?), but shouldn't I leave the operator where it is so that I get a greater mechanical advantage? If I move everything to the right an equal amount, it seems that I will continue to have my current problem. What are your thoughts?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Looking at your photos, it appears that the smaller arm which attaches to the sash bracket is too short. I think I'm leaning towards Tom's original suggestion; you might need the 39-032 operator. The larger link arm may allow you to avoid any major alterations. That said, I'd like to see the original operator you had installed in the window, if you still have it, side by side with the 39-155 in your first pictures.
A home owner from Charleston, WV says:
The original operator and the new 39-156 are absolutely identical. I will send you a side-by-side photo when I get home from work this evening. However, you can see then both in the photos that I originally submitted.
A quick learner from Charleston, WV says:
Here is a photo of the original operator (in the foreground), and the new operator (attached to the window). What are your thoughts?
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
This sure is a weird one. We have a couple different guys looking at it right now, actually, and one of them mentioned he has this same window at home. Looking at your setup and thinking back on what he has, he thinks your first step would be to disconnect everything, including the track. Make sure that the operator arms are set in the position it would be in assuming the sash is fully closed. Then, it will just be a matter of trial and error, lining it up with the sash until the arms are able to close the proper way. Ultimately, you'll want to adjust the operator, track, and bracket more to the right; right now it's all far too close to the left. We also believe you will need to push it closer to the sill. However, like I mentioned, it's going to take trial and error until you get it in the right position.
A quick learner from North Carolina says:
Hi. I have Truth Entrygard 31538 and 40753. Installed 19 years ago.

The window won't close the last two inches, even with the operator removed. The track is clean and I can't find anything that would account for the problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-11-28 14.41.39.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-11-28 14.41.24.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-11-28 14.53.05.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

If the window won't close even with the operator removed, then there is definitely some kind of obstruction preventing it from doing so. There is no other explanation. More than likely, some part of the hinge assembly has broken. Your next step should be to remove the sash from the window and carefully examine both the top and bottom hinge for any obvious signs of damage.

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.