I cannot open window to remove the balance

A home owner from Parkland, FL says:
Thanks for all the videos and good info.

I have about 7 PGT single-hung, no-tilt windows in house with the same problem: i can't open the window to remove the broken channel balance.

The broken channel balance is out of the lower sash except for some length still inside the sash. Most of the channel balance is visible above the lower sash but the balance has somehow jammed the window closed. I grip the channel balance but i cannot move it --- it won't go up or down and i can't raise the window so i can't get the broken balance out. Most of the bad windows have one broken and jammed balance on the right side, a few on the left.

These appear to be the block/tackle type of channel balance but I can't order a replacement because i can't get it out of the window.

Please advise.

walt
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Walt. It sounds like your top sash guides broke. A top sash guide is a cap at both corners of your sash that keep the balance in place. Once they break, the balance shoots up to the top of the window track. We actually have a video on what you can do to fix this problem, which you can view b elow.

A home owner from Parkland, FL says:
Thanks for the info, the video is helpful.

However, unlike the video, in my case the window sash could not be raised to remove it in order to replace the top sash guide.

I had to take a dowel and a hammer to hammer the channel balance away from the sash. When the sash guide broke the balance shot up and jammed into the sash, freezing everything. When I hammered the balance away from the sash the window sash became moveable and I could then get everything out as per the video.
A quick learner from San bernardino says:
Can anyone help in identifying this balancer. It's mounted to the top of the window.i believe it was installed around 1983.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230705_135554.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230705_135515.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

What you have here is an old overhead style balance. I'm sorry to say that this is not a product that we can sell anymore. These are generally old fashioned and have become harder and harder to get a hold of over the years. At this time, we won't be able to help you with this project.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. 

How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.