carefree channel counterbalances

A quick learner from ohio says:
I have tilt-in Carefree windows and I am searching for the replacement counterbalances.

The dimensions are as follows:

Short:
18 inches O.A.L. retracted
33-1/2 inches O.A.L. extended
O.D. of plastic cover is .420 inches

Long:
30-1/2 O.A.L. retractd
58 inches O.A.L. extended
O.D. of plastic is .420 inches.

I could not find any "stamp" number or any otyher type of writing/designation on the counterbalances.

These may be the only 2 different sizes I need, Im not sure yet as I have not went thru the entire house and check each window.

If there is anything else you need from me please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you
-Pete
User submitted photos of their Carefree window balances
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Pete! These balances appear to be similar to our tilt-window Series 600 spiral balances, whose diameter measures 5/8". Does that look about right?

Now, as you can see, the length of our balances are determined by the balance tube only. The spiral protrusion is not counted in this measurement. Could you double check your length based on this information and let me know what you come up with?

Could you also tell me the weight of each sash that these balances support? That will help us determine their tip color, which will in turn determine their strength.

You may also want to look at our 26-200 Balance Screw Plug. Does that look like it could be useful?
A quick learner from Ohio says:
Hello. Thank you for the reply.

The screw plug might be what I need but I wont know until I either have one to try or you can provide me with dimensions.

I removed the small window and the other size (larger) window and weighed them on bathroom scales. The samll one is 10 pounds and the larger one is 15.5 pounds.

The small balance tube length is approx 16-3/4 inch.
The larger balance tube length is approx 29.25 inches.

The diameter of the balance is 7/16 inches. 5/8 inches is too large and will NOT fit. Im not even sure 1/2 diameter will fit as there is not much room in the channel.

Thank you
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. The dimensions for the 26-200 can be seen on its product page.

As for your balances, I would recommend the S900-17 and the S900-29. I would also recommend the red tip option for both of these, based on your window sash weight. Let me know what you think!
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.