carefree lubricant

A handy person from O'Fallon, IL says:
My house has Care Free windows are 20 years old. Most of them work well and easily slide up and down in the tracks. On a few of them, the spiral balances stick initially when opening the window, but operate fine after that. Is there a lubricant (WD-40, oil, graphite, etc.) that can be applied to the top end of the spiral balance to help keep them from sticking initially?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You can use a few drops of 3 in 1 oil down the tube of the balance, that should lubricate the spiral. You can also apply white grease on the spiral itself. For the tracks where the balance installs, we recommend a silicone spray.
Paul, thank you for your response.
My balances are particularly stubborn or they have not read the owner's manual. I checked the top of the tubes to ensure they were open, then added 10-15 drops of oil to each one. I also put a few small dabs of white grease down the spirals. All to no avail.
When the window is closed for at least 5 minutes, as I open it there is initial resistance and the springs make a loud popping noise as if something in the mechanism is stuck but then breaks free. After that the window moves freely and quietly up or down - until it is closed, then the whole cycle happens again.
Is there any type of sealed mechanism inside the tube that the oil might not be able to penetrate? Any other ideas?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I wouldn't worry about it. You did everything you can do. The balances are just too old. The inside mechanism has a worn spot that causes some initial resistance, before you work it out by opening the windows. It's part of the life cycle of a balance; eventually, the only solution is to replace them!
Ah yes, age affects all of us in different ways.
I was afraid it would come down to balance-replacement surgery as the only viable option.
My wife says we will stay with the "pain-killing meds" regimen and live with the noise for a while before we ask the Window Doctor to make a house call.
Thank you.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.