SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

certainteed constant force sash balance

A contractor from Pleasant Hill, MO says:
I am trying to find parts to replace Coil springs, coil bushing with flange, and spring cover. The coiled balanace spring is marked:
LA
It is 1/2" wide. Are the new 406 series 3/4" wide and do they use a new spring cover and bushing to fit in the window? The certainteed part numbers I am replacing are: Spring cover-H8637MXX, bushing with flange-H8638MXX,
User submitted photos of a coil balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The pivot shoe looks like our 15-192, the spring cover looks like our 15-156 and the bushing resembles our 15-157. I know the cover and bushing look different, but they should work as long as the 15-192 is a match. For the spring, I recommend our S170-406 which seems to match the stamp on yours.
A quick learner from Maryland says:
this is misleading i bought this springs and ended with another problem.The top laches got broken on my windows do to not have the room to move freely up and down they hit the now 3/4" springs.The laches need the 1/4" space allowed by the original springs being only 1/2" wide.what would you recoment to solve this problem.Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Based on your description, I have a feeling that you don't have Certainteed windows. Please send us some pictures of the latches in question and we can work from there. Thanks!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)