SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Stamp for channel balance?

A quick learner from Pleasanton, CA says:
Hi,

The Channel Balance popped out of one side of my Milgard window. I'm pretty sure I need an S380-30 30" Series Channel Balance but am having difficulty with the Stamp option. There aren't many markings on the balance. Attached are photos. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Irene
User submitted photos of a channel balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It looks like you have a marking of 29 9 DW CMC 4 on your metal channel. This is the stamp you want to look at, however we don't have an option that corresponds to the number 29 9. I recommend that you weigh your window sash and compare it to the list of options we have under the S380-30 to see which matches up.

I would also double check the size of your balance's shoe to make sure it matches the Series 380's 15-002 15-005. It looks a little thicker by my eye, maybe more like the 15-001 15-004, but I could be wrong.
A quick learner from Pleasanton says:
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will weigh the window sash.

Attached are some more detailed photos of the shoe and top of the balance. I thought the Series 380 used the 15-005 shoe, not a 15-002. Please advise.

Thanks,
Irene
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I'm sorry! That was a typo on my part. I meant to say the 15-005 and 15-004, for the Series 380 and Series 385 respectively. Sorry for the confusion.

Based on that first image, it looks like your shoe is 1" deep, which makes it the 15-005. Thanks for confirming! Just let me know what the sash weight is.
A quick learner from Pleasanton, CA says:
Hi,

I just took out the window and weighed it. It came in at 42.6 lbs. I'd like to order 6 of these channel balances.

Thanks,
Irene
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, thank you. That is a very heavy sash, and we do not have a standard spring that can support that weight. Your balance will have to be specially made.

Check out this Custom Channel Balance Request Form I have made based on your specifications. I have chosen the 2975 option. Two balances with this option can carry a window sash weight of 42 through 45 pounds.

Once you've filled out and submitted the rest of the information on that form, one of our representatives will get back to you shortly thereafter with a price quote and an item to add to your cart.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)