Determining weight and length of channel balance

A home owner from Salem, Oregon says:
There is no actual stamp on the old channel balance but in ink it reads, "26 9 34#" then "DL CALDWELL." That is all it reads. There is no other stamp. The pics of the 351 series look the same but I don't know how to choose a sash weight. The sash is approximately 28 H x 44 w. Does the "34#" indicate the sash weight? Or do I have to take the window out again and weigh it?
Also I have a smaller window which needs new channel balances. I took the old ones out and I'm afraid in my old age I forgot where I put them or threw them away. Sigh. How do I figure out what size channel balances to get for that window?
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The "34#" may indicate sash weight, but you really should remove the sash and weigh it to be sure. We have a chart on the S351-27 store page that lists each option and how much weight they can support.

As for the window that is missing its balances, do you at least know the Series? Is it also the Series 351 channel balance? If so, tell me the height of the visible glass and I can calculate what length you need from there. You will also need to weigh that sash so that you choose the correct option.
A home owner from Salem, Oregon says:
Yes the windows were all 351 series

I don't know what the 34# means as it is not the sash weight. The sash weight is 25 pounds.

The height of the visible glass in the window with the missing balances is 14 3/4. Sash weight is 11.2 pounds

Once you calculate the length on the missing balances I can correctly order the channel balances I need.

Thank you so much for your quick response and all your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the additional information. For the 25 pound sash, I recommend our S351-27 with a 2640 option. For the sash with 14-3/4" high glass, I recommend our S351-16 with a 1530 option. Let me know what you think.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.